Sunday, October 29, 2006

Let's Hear it for Interns!


Closing today is the fabulous Dale Chihuly exhibit at the New York Botanical Gardens.
Selected photos and video from the exhibition are available on this website.

In his glasswork, Chihuly uses organic, yet otherworldly shapes. While I loved the Chihuly pieces, I found them to be most enjoyable the best when they didn’t compete against the far-out flora.

And while many, especially the big floating glass figs did sort of outshine the amazing lotus plants, they did make me look twice at the big serving tray lilypads. Are those for real? Wow. Cool.






I couldn’t help but wonder, how did he make all of these amazingly intricate molded glass sculptures? There’s only one way: interns. Lot’s of ‘em. He’s clearly a man after my own heart. And some people think that’s immoral. Personally, I’d take a medieval trade apprenticeship over higher education any day of the week. But that's just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home