Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Seismic Event Rocks Ellen's World


The unthinkable happened. After nearly 4 years of complaining about the inferiority of Mexican food in New York, I return to San Francisco for my regular pilgrimage to Tacqueria Cancun only to find a vegetarian super burrito…wait for it…mediocre. It was slightly soggy – too much sour cream – and, I hate to admit, bland.

I couldn’t believe it. Here’s my usual rant -- preserved for posterity:
- Why can’t New York make a decent burrito?
- The raw materials are pretty widely available -- so the lack of a decent burrito smacks of inexplicable geographic cultural differences
- New York usually goes wrong by trying to over fill the tortilla and not evenly distributing the ingredients thereby creating segregated flavor pools in an unpleasant way
- Cancun is the best because they grill the tortilla…creating a pastry-like effect.

But all that seems, well, passé, given that I’d rather have a $2 taco from my local Brooklyn tacqueria. I’m really broken up about this. How has it come to this?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

There's a burrito joint here in Arlington that grills the burrito too. El Charrito Caminante. We'll grab a burrito next time you're in the area.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Ellen Horne said...

Most definitely! I'm morally opposed to the steamed tortilla. May try to make it down in late Dec/early Jan for a couple of days...will keep you posted.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home